Current discussion in politics roils Social Security disability

Florida residents who are seeking benefits for illness or injury from the Social Security Administration (SSA) might not be political junkies or keep a close eye on the back and forth between political parties regarding legal issues. But the politics that are in play in the current climate can’t be ignored when it comes to the rules by which Social Security disability benefits are allocated. Knowing what’s under current discussion and how it can influence benefits can make the process easier for prospective claimants.

The Republicans in Congress are disagreeing with the president on a plan surrounding Social Security Disability Insurance (SSDI). The proposal is being made for next year as the GOP would like to stop the shifting of payroll tax revenue to avoid a cut in benefits. Under current circumstances, benefits will be reduced by 19 percent for approximately 11 million people. The other 81 percent will be paid for by payroll tax revenue.

Even laypeople who are vigilant about the political climate are not going to be completely aware of the evaluation process that SSA uses in determining disability, how the programs are funded and how this will influence their case. Understanding how the process works is better left to the professionals. This holds true when it comes to the SSDI, Social Security Income (SSI), getting benefits for children, preparing for a claim, appealing a denial and numerous other issues. No matter the problems a claimant suffers from, knowing the various factors involved with SSA requirements can be hard to navigate and legal help is important.

While the machinations between the political parties and attempts to frame the argument to their benefit might seem like a lot of noise to the public, the fact is that these issues can be important when it comes to filing for benefits and being approved. Leaving that to the legal professionals is the smart move and that’s why it’s important to seek legal help when considering a disability claim.

Source: Huffington Post, “Obama budget rejects GOP Social Security move,” Arthur Delaney, Feb. 2, 2015


Get A Free Consultation

Get Started

Contact Us To Schedule A Free And Confidential Initial Consultation

AV | AV Preeminent | Highest Possible Rating in Both Legal Ability & Ethical Standards | 2014
Avvo Rating | 10.0 Superb | Top Attorney Personal Injury
Avvo Rating | 10.0 Superb | Top Attorney Car Accident
Avvo Clients' Choice 2014 Car Accident
Expertise Best Workers Compensation Attorneys in Orlando 2020

Practice Areas

Social Security Disability
Personal Injury
Workers’ Compensation